Let’s set the way back machine to January 2001. This is around the time I took my first steps into designing an additive synthesizer. I’m not sure when user-defined opcodes were introduced, though there is a good chance they had not existed then. And if they did, I had no idea of their existence. Same goes for the event series of opcodes. In my legacy code, each overtone, along with supporting envelopes and transfer functions, were written explicitly. I was a perl junky at the time, so I wrote scripts that would generate the instruments for me.
The example I’m posting today is the legacy code from 2001. I did not change the code, except for converting tabs to spaces and placing the orc/sco pair into a csd.
If you look at part 2, Steven actually demos an additive synth, which is eerily similar to the core design of the one I’m in the process of making. Which means I either independently came up with a similar design, or more likely, I’m suffering from a bout of cryptomnesia. Either way, if you haven’t studied up on these two articles, then perhaps it’s time you make a weekend project out of it; They are pure gold.